6 Tips to Help You Sleep Better:- A good night’s sleep is the cornerstone of a healthier and happier state of the body as well as the mind. Denying yourself the simple pleasure of sleep can take a heavy toll on your physical, mental and emotional health. The world today has been plagued by the disease of sleeplessness which is becoming increasingly prevalent in your daily routine owing to your poor lifestyle choices and sleep hygiene being the prominent causes.
6 Tips to Help You Sleep Better:- A good night’s sleep is the cornerstone of a healthier and happier state of the body as well as the mind. Denying yourself the simple pleasure of sleep can take a heavy toll on your physical, mental and emotional health. The world today has been plagued by the disease of sleeplessness which is becoming increasingly prevalent in your daily routine owing to your poor lifestyle choices and sleep hygiene being the prominent causes. Sleeplessness may often stem from other underlying causes such as sleep disorders, stress, and depression among others.
Sleep deprivation has adverse effects on your moods, concentration, energy, productivity, and even your body weight. Research states that poor sleeping habits have a profound effect on your brain function, performance, is associated with hormonal imbalance, increases the risk of weight gain, reduces your immunity levels, and is also related to a heightened risk of cardiovascular diseases. On the contrary, a consistent sleep duration confers better glucose metabolism, supports neuroendocrine function, boosts your moods, promotes your performance by encouraging your judgment abilities and creative thinking.
With so much scientific evidence highlighting the lasting impact of sleep on health; breaking your poor sleeping habits is essential to reduce the potential burden of associated harmful consequences on your health. Getting enough shut-eye may seem like next to an impossible goal if your day ends at 3 am after hours of binge-watching, or working late. You might end up tossing and turning in your bed or dragging yourself from bed in the morning feeling tired and groggy. However, employing certain tips can help you sleep better and optimize your health in the long run.
Recommended Reading:- What Is Relaxation Music?
Keep a Regular Sleep-Wake Schedule
Keeping your natural sleep-wake cycle in sync is an effective way to combat your sleeplessness and help improve the quality of your sleep. A study published in the Journal of Sleep Research found that individuals having an irregular sleeping pattern reported poor sleep problems.
- Try to stick to a regular sleep schedule. Irrespective of your personal or professional commitments, develop a sleeping pattern where you sleep and wake up on the same day every single day.
- Avoid taking daytime naps at odd hours during late afternoon or evening which may delay your sleep time at night.
Start a Sleep-Time Ritual
A bedtime ritual can help relax your body and lull you to sleep.
- Read a book or listen to soft music specially curated for sleep-deprived souls.
- Soak yourself in a warm water bath. Alternatively, a warm foot bath is also known to improve sleep quality.
- Switch off the television and set aside your mobiles and laptops 2 hours before heading to bed. The blue light emitted from these electronic devices tends to worsen your sleeping pattern.
Recommended Reading:- 6 Tips to Help You Sleep Better
Dietary Recommendations to Avoid Staying Awake
Your sleep can also be affected by your dietary habits before bedtime. Including the following recommendations can help improve your sleep quality more than ever:
- Drink a glass of warm milk close to bedtime.
- Abstain from alcohol during the night as it can interfere with your natural sleep cycle.
- Avoid the intake of caffeine (found in tea, soda, coffee, and chocolate) late in the evening. To address your coffee and tea cravings, try the decaffeinated varieties of the beverages.
- Eating heavy meals at night will keep you awake. Avoid consuming large meals 2-3 hours before bedtime. In case you feel hungry you can choose light snacks 45 minutes before your bedtime crackers, oatmeal warmed milk or a fruit smoothie to cater to your growling stomach.
Recommended Reading:- Sleep Apnea: All You Need to Know
Practice Relaxation Techniques
Relaxation techniques will help you clear your mind and unwind from any preoccupations. You can experiment with the following relaxation techniques:
- Try deep breathing exercises.
- Meditating right before bedtime can help you focus on your energies, calm your racing mind and help you sleep better.
Improve Your Bedroom Environment
Your bedroom environment has a profound impact on the quality of your sleep.
- Close to sleep time, dim the lights of your bedroom.
- Monitor the temperature of your bedroom according to your habits and preferences.
- Make sure your bedding is clean and comfortable.
Recommended Reading:- The Effect of Music on Insomnia
Including a regular exercise regimen in your routine can do wonders on your overall health. According to a study conducted on older adults aged 55 and above suffering from a chronic case of insomnia, the aerobic physical activity helped enhance their quality of sleep, and mood.
Although regular exercise can help you sleep adequately, avoid performing any form of physical activity within 3 hours of your bedtime. Since exercise
The Final Word
Try experimenting with the aforementioned tips consistently to sleep better and wake up every-day with energy to take on the world. Also, in case of prolonged sleeplessness due to snoring, a burning sensation in your chest, throat, and stomach, or an incessant urge to move your legs even in your sleep; consider seeking professional help.